On Thursday we got to have an English guided tour through the highlights ofthe Hermitage because we had a senior couple visiting the mission. Each set of Elders and Sisters serve a two hour shift each week as helpers at the Hermitage so the administration there loves the missionaries and they arranged for this two hour tour for us. It was great. We also have volunteer passes now so we can go free to the Hermitage or any other state sponsored museum. I was sitting in the foyer of the Hermitage waiting for one of our new couples to come in when these five young English speaking girls came in the volunteer door. When I joined our group the same five girls were there also. So after about 15 minutes into the tour I went up to one and asked where they were from. She said, "Germany, but we are leaving now." And four of them left. Ten minutes later there was a pause in the tour guides's description and so I asked the remaining girl where she was from. Over the next few minutes and in between the guide's comments I found that she was here visiting friends. She was studying philosphy and then going to England next year to study foreign affairs. Her name was Julia. She asked why we were here and I talked to her about the church and the missionary program. By then we were near Elder Krause and so I told her that all the guys here were missionaries also and mentioned that he had only a month to go and had been here for 24 months. He heard his name, turned around, and I introduced her to him. Over the next half hour he gave her the first lesson as we went along. She seemed quite engrossed. When she left, she waved to me as she left the room ahead of us. So I am hoping she will contact the missionaries when she gets back h
ome.
Diane says this picture should be titled, "The Four Graces."
The next day we had a middle aged fellow come into the institute. Diane was working on the computer so I greeted and talked to him. He wanted to know how to get in contact with our family history program. He obviously could speak a little English. We talked about ancestors and then he asked where the pictures of Joseph Smith were. I took him in our main room and told him the only real picture was there, where we have a nice "Parson" painting of the Savior. Then we talked about the Bible and Book of Mormon. It was quite fun. I offered him a Book of Mormon and he said he already had one. Then two of the Elders came in and I got them to talk to him in Russian to make sure there was no misunderstanding.
We listen to Conference a week later here than live. We just finished the afternoon session and it was Elder Nielson who talked of being the Finland Mission president. It was fun to hear him talk of his son being in Vyborg where he talked of the lady being moved out during the war. Isn't it amazing that we have been in Vyborg and stood in front of the same chapel he showed in his conference talk.
This is our current district of dedicated missionaries.
Just keeps getting more and more amazing here. We love it so much. Diane is loving getting some responses to her last post and says, "Tell them to keep those cards and letters coming!"
Louis
Sunday, October 11, 2009
We do missionary work too
Posted by Louis at 2:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I need more background on the "four graces" as I'm not all that cultured!! What do you do at the intitute during the day. Do people come all day long? Deanna
So jealous of your day at the museum! What was that sculptor thinking when he left you out of the original? Maybe I'll post your picture on my replica.
Hey,
I want to let you know how lucky you are to be able to talk about the church. I hope some day it will happen here. Keep up the good work.
Max
Just showed Milt your latest blog. Showed him the picture of you guys and the full-time elders and sisters. Milt said Louis needed a haircut. Quess you get to get the scissors out. That is great you were able to teach the girl during the tour. We are processing a lot of FOR's here at the temple so there are a lot of people doing their own family history. Love to hear how you are doing. LuAnn
Happy Birthday!! I hope you don't mind me peeking in every now and again?!?
Julie Christensen Pack
Love the Four Graces picture! :) Glad you are getting some missionary work in, too.
Post a Comment