We’ve had almost more excitement than we can stand during
the past two days. The falcons have
flown! Bet you didn’t know we were
falcon watchers. It started during our
first week here when one of our trainers mentioned the peregrine falcon nest box
that is on a ledge near the top of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and has
two web cams in it. The church, in
conjunction with the US Wildlife and several other agencies, has participated
in wooing a falcon pair to nest here for many years. We started checking in on the birds once in a
while. There were four eggs the parents
were taking turns sitting on.
About five weeks ago three eggs hatched and the fun of
watching them grow began. Luke gave me
the idea to keep the web came open in the corner of my computer desktop and I
have done that at work every day since then.
It has been great fun watching them grow, the parents bringing them
fresh birds to eat, and them fighting over the food, etc. We learned that when it is time for them to
fledge (see, it has even broadened my vocabulary!) that there would be trained
watchers on the plaza watching and ready to rescue them, if necessary. The brick and glass buildings and traffic of
a city pose great hazards as they are learning to fly. There were even large, yellow traffic signs
put up on each street around Temple Square which say, “Falcon Bird Watch –
Prepare to Stop.” This past week the
three birds, who are big by now, have been spending a lot of time flapping
their wings and looking out of the box.
Just trying to get up courage, I’m sure.
Friday was the day.
When Lou turned the web cam on at 6:15 a.m. one of them was gone. We watched them off and on as we got ready to
go to work, and he saw the second one take off about half an hour later. I watched #3 all day at work. She acted very anxious, but just didn’t dare
try her wings. At lunch we sat out on
the plaza and talked to one of the watchers and learned that #2 had taken the
longest fledgling flight they had ever seen.
She had flown across South Temple Street to the roof of Macy’s in the
City Creek Center. So he had been named
Macy. The first one out was named Primo
and he was hanging out on the Church Administration Building just a short
distance from the box.
But later that evening I read the sad news that Macy, who
had taken several short flights during the day, had then taken off and crashed
into the Key Bank high rise building and died.
I was so sad.
But that’s not the end of the story. Yesterday morning #3, who has been named Boxer because she was
staying in the box, started acting very strangely. She was extremely agitated and flailing about
in the box. Finally, the wildlife guy,
Bob, who is called a ‘rehabilitator’ carefully took the back off the box from
inside the building and reached in with a towel to try to capture her. Instead, it scared her and she flew out very
quickly. So I was reading blog posts all
day keeping track of her. They later
caught her and took her to rehab and even took an x-ray of her gut. Said she seemed fine but they kept her there
overnight and will likely release her sometime today. So that is a bit of the story of the SLC
falcons. I see on the internet that there are similar falcon pairs and boxes
and web cams in several cities in the U.S.
Another interesting perk of this mission.
On another subject, I just want to tell you about an
interesting experience I had at work this week.
One day I received an email from our dear friend, Monday, in
Nigeria. My kids will remember us
talking a lot about Monday and his family.
He is an exemplary church leader and is educated and ambitious, but
couldn’t (and still can’t) find work and can barely feed their six kids. He asked about what we are doing on our
mission here, so in reply I told him about what I do in the patriarchal
blessing department. I was surprised to
get another email right back from him saying that he wanted to get a copy of
his blessing. I thought, “Oh no, this
likely isn’t going to work.” I have
watched for but have never yet seen a request come in from Nigeria, and I didn’t
have much faith that the patriarchs would have sent in their blessings
regularly. But I told him just how to go
to lds.org and where to find the request
form. I thought it would be several days
before he would get to a computer again so I told him to email me when he sent
it so that I could try to arrange to have his request put in my queue. (There are 16 people in my department all
answering requests.)
I was, again, very surprised when I had another email early
the next morning saying that he had sent it in.
(I later learned that he has a laptop computer and a modem now. The only
problem is that they don’t very often have electricity! This just blows my mind that he could scrap
together enough money for a computer.)
So as soon as I got to work I had my coordinator look for his request
and assign it to me. I was so excited
just to see his name, but almost afraid to open it. Imagine my delight when I saw his blessing appear,
already matched by the computer. The
system works!!! Obviously, it worked
because his patriarch had done his job correctly. The blessing was given way back in 1998. Monday has been a faithful member since the
very early days of the church in Nigeria.
Those faithful members have so little and expect nothing (because the
fast offering system didn’t really work there).
Yet they know the gospel is true.
I hope many of you were able to watch Music and the Spoken
Word today. It was their Independence
Day special, with the orchestra and bells, and it was magnificent! What a great way to start this week. Wishing
everyone a good 4th of July.
We have so much to be thankful for in this country.
0 comments:
Post a Comment