Sunday, June 21, 2009

Friends, Rain and the Hermitage

Lunching with friends has always been one of my favorite things to do, but lunching with a friend from home when you are 10,000 miles away is really special, and yesterday we got to do just that. Our friend Portia Loosli from Ashton, and her daughters, were in St. Petersburg for two days on a cruise. She wrote me weeks ago and said that they were coming and would like to see us. She had picked up my comment on this blog that I couldn't find 'regluar' measuring cups and spoons and said she was bringing me some and anything else I wanted. What an offer! I did have her bring me some piano prelude music because I brought only organ music and there are no organs here so I play only hymns for every meeting. Anyway, we arranged to meet at one of the cathedrals and how good it was to see her. We loved visiting with her and her daughters, Michelle and Jane. It was just so good to talk to folks from home. We sent our love to all our temple shift workers with her. So thank you, Portia, for lunch and the 'goodies' you brought, but most of all for taking the time and effort to see us. I hope anyone else reading this who may be 'cruising' this way would do the same.

When we left them it was raining and we, rather inadvertently, took the long way home and walked for over an hour in the rain. But it was a warm rain and we had umbrellas so we just enjoyed it. It seems so ironic that we have had over a week of rain, just like you are having at home. And we just received an email from the Wades in Belarus and they said the same thing. I'd say this is a pretty wide-spread weather pattern. But we are happy to hear of full reservoirs at home. Haven't heard that for many years.

We recently had our first opportunity to visit the Hermitage, one of the most famous museums in the world for which St. Petersburg is especially known. It is a huge complex of mansions built by Catherine the Great and other of the tsars and houses such a vast collection of art, sculpture and lavish furnishings that it is said if you spent just 30 seconds at each display it would take 11 years to see it all. You certainly don't begin to see it all in one visit. The best-known part of the museum is housed in the baroque style Winter Palace of the tsars, built in 1752. This photo shows only a very small part of the palace but you get the look of it. I have to admit that neither of us are art conisseurs (can't even spell it), but being in the presence of original Rembrandts was a bit awe inspiring. This is where our missionaries do their service hours. Each missionary spends 4 hours a week working here. We are envious but the couples don't get to do it because we don't speak Russian.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

ohhh and ahhhh. I'll find some of my favorite Rembrandts so you can look them up for me and tell me how great they look in person!

Cathy Hanna said...

Yesterday in Relief Society I was thinking about you, missing you and wondering how you were doing, I found your blog address in the bulletin and I found you! I love your blog and it is so nice to be able to check in on you and see how you are doing. Thanks for your great examples, we love and miss you.
Cathy Hanna

LuAnn said...

It is good to hear that you are starting on a project for your mission. You will be good for the youth there. I think that institue is a good way to keep involved with the church when you are young and just learning about the gospel. I am sure peer pressure and tradition keeps some people from growing in the gospel.

I was doing laundry - hoping to get clothes on the line to dry, if the sun comes out that is - and was wondering if you had washer & dryer in your apartment or had to go to a laundry facility. Or maybe you have to find a creek and a washboard and rock. HA HA

Keep up the blog, it is a great way to know what you are doing. Jake Bischoff entered the MTC the first of the month and should be in Nashville, Tennessee by now starting his mission. Brenner Stewart was ordained an elder on June 7th and is planning a mission in September when he turns 19.

with love, LuAnn

Max and Deanna said...

What a great blog. It is really neat all of the things that you are getting a chance to see. I think all countries have their own little piece of beauty. We are working with a group of young people like you are and it is hard because most of them don't have jobs and it is hard to find one now. We have a young lady that just got home from St. Petersburg on her mission. I asked her if she knew you guys, but I guess she didn't get to meet you. Thanks for the link for your blog it is great.
Are you playing any golf,HaHa
Max