Monday, May 4, 2009

Photos of the Cathedral on Spilled Blood



These photos of the inside of the cathedral shown in our first post go along with Lou's comments below.
I want to make a comment about the challenges of cooking here. In the first place, we can't read any labels on the products. Even though we can sound out the Russian words, usually they aren't words that correspond with the English words. And you often can't recognize a product by sight. For instance, we hunted and hunted for mayonnaise and finally were shown to it in packets much like the kid's juice drinks at home -- but it tastes good. Vanilla comes powdered in little envelopes, as does baking powder, etc. (much like our yeast packets). We went to the Ikea store one day and I was able to buy some kitchen utensils. But even there the only baking pan I could find is a little smaller than a 9 x 13". No loaf pans, pie pans or cookie sheets. I'm still looking for more. And I was so foolish to not bring measuring cups or spoons (I was told you could buy anything here). Of course, the only ones here are in metric measurements. Anyway, I'm not doing much cooking and no baking, yet.
Two things I'm very thankful for -- filtered water and hearing. We just got a water filter last week and are so happy to not have to lug home big jugs of water every few days. (Okay, Lou did the lugging, but I commiserated.) The Church is very committed to providing all missionaries with good water filters on the kitchen faucet so they have good drinking and cooking water. But since ours is a new apartment for the mission, it took some time (and much difficulty) to get it installed. Be thankful for your good water at home (especially in Rexburg!). I think ours is one of the very few countries that has clean tap water.
And I'm thankful for hearing because while in the MTC I got an ear infection which caused my eardrum to burst. I lived on pain killers for the next week until it healed but then had no hearing in that ear. The doctor told me it would come back in a month or so, and it is now beginning to. It takes some time for the scar tissue to thin out so that the ear drum works again. It has been very annoying, especially when someone is always translating softly in my ear. I think I needed to learn patience.
Each week we get a better understanding of just what our work is here. Maybe we are slow learners!
Diane

3 comments:

marianne said...

Dear Uncle Louis and Aunt Diane,
I was overjoyed to get your email with the link to your blog. What a fabulous way for us to see what you are up to. It's so fascinating to read about your missionary experiences along with Jordan in Alaska and my other nephew in Italy. The kids love to hear about it all. They pray every night in our family prayers for missionary work and ask for a special blessing on all four of our families missionaries out serving the Lord right now. Thank you for your wonderful example. We love you and appreciate all you do.
The Arizona Clements family

Michelle said...

Hi there from Portia Loosli:

I'm planning on being in St. Petersburg June 21st and 22nd with my daughters -- would love to see you! Am also happy to bring any supplies you are missing (did I read something about measuring cups?)...
If you can send me an email to coordinate. PLoosli@earthlink.net

LuAnn said...

thought you would like to know graduation if just around the corner, May 21. 5 from our ward is graduating. Maryanna Bagley, Kevin Jeppesen, Brandon Orme, Joseph and Brenner Stewart is graduating from Central. The Rexburg Temple district is now on the new family search. Exciting.